Latency, TCP ACKs and upload needs

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Fri Apr 22 08:26:18 UTC 2016

On 20/04/16 16:27, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> 90%+ of the stacks deployed will be too small.  Modern Unix generally
> has "autotuning" TCP stacks, but I don't think Windows or OS X has
> those features yet (but I'd be very happy to be wrong on that point).
> Regardless of satellite uplink/downlink speeds, boxes generally need
> to be tuned to get maximum performance on satellite.

Windows also has TCP buffers auto-tuning since Windows 7/Vista up to 16MB, however only receiver-side tuning on their client versions,
for sender-side tuning you will need a server version.
That means uploading stuff from a regular windows "client" machine to a remote host with a large RTT will be very slow.

--
Chris