Arista Routing Solutions

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Apr 23 18:20:49 UTC 2016

On 23 April 2016 at 10:52, Tom Hill <tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:
> In broad strokes: for your money you're either getting port density, or
> more features per port. The only difference here is that there's
> suddenly more TCAM on the device, and I still don't see the above
> changing too drastically.

Yeah OP is comparing high touch chip (MX104) to low touch chip
(Jericho) that is not fair comparison. And cost is what customer is
willing to pay, regardless of sticker on the box. No one will pay
significant mark-up for another sticker, I've never seen in RFP
significant differences in comparable products.

Fairer comparison would be QFX10k, instead of MX104. QFX10k is AFAIK
only product in this segment which is not using Jericho. If this is
competitive advantage or risk, jury is still out, I lean towards
competitive advantage, mainly due to its memory design.

--
  ++ytti