CDN, Steam, Origin and NAT.

Laurent Dumont admin at coldnorthadmin.com
Thu Apr 21 02:27:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

We are running a small-ish LAN event in Toronto where we have to use a
single IP address to NAT between 250-350 players. I have been made aware
of possible issues with different services like Steam, Origin and Twitch
who can run into issues when a large number of connections seem to
originate from a single IP address. I just wanted to poke the list to
see if anyone can chime him on their experiences with NATing customers
and the impact it might have on public services. I am usually using
public IP address space for players when designing most large LAN
events. Dealing with NAT for a medium-ish amount of customers is not
something I am used to do.

It feels silly to worry about that when you assume that WISP
sometimes(mostly?) use CGN when providing internet to customers. The
same could be said of most large office buildings around the world.

I appreciate any input on the matter!

Thanks

Laurent