phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 14 17:09:56 UTC 2016

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 05:46 , John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> If they're land lines, the NPA/NXX will be local to the CO so you won't
>> have out-of-area numbers other than a rare corner case of a very
>> expensive foreign exchange line. If they're VoIP lines, the address is
>> *supposed* to be so registered, but softphones and even VoIP handsets
>> tend to move around without the user considering 9-1-1.
>
> VoIP was dragged kicking and screaming into E911, so now they charge
> extra and are quite clear about it.  My VoIP provider regularly
> reminds me to update my 9-1-1 address, but since I don't have to pay
> the 9-1-1 fee if I lie and say I'm outside North America, that's what
> I do.  Since I also have a classic CO-powered copper landline (1/4
> mile from the CO, no concentrators or repeaters) and a couple of cell
> phones, I think we're covered.

With my VOIP provider, I didn’t quite have to lie.

I generally don’t need my VOIP number when I’m in the US (cell is free here),
so I simply told them “I do not intend to use this number or this service
within the US”.

The first time I sent them a marked-up contract, they contacted me with
questions. The following year, the new version of the contract reflected
my changes to their original wording.

Since then, I’ve been pretty much satisfied with my service from callcentric
and the price is right.

Owen