phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Jonathan Smith beowulfdance at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:04:31 UTC 2016

"If they're land lines, the NPA/NXX will be local to the CO so you won't
have out-of-area numbers other than a rare corner case of a very expensive
foreign exchange line."

This hasn't been a true statement since Local Number Portability.  NPA/NXX
is nothing more than 'where the number originally was assigned from', and
that only for the ones issued BEFORE LNP started; since is anyone's guess.
They follow something similiar to what a routed phone call does, but ties
into slightly different information that is 'supposed' to associate the
end-client address with said LNI that is 'supposed' to be populated with
accurate street address information.  Similar to what VoIP has had to deal
with since, most charge a fee, disclaim any responsibility as to the
accuracy of the information that the end user provides.  I am sure
litigation on/around THAT particular issue is just around the corner.

Regards,

Jonathan Smith