phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Apr 14 12:46:20 UTC 2016

>If they're land lines, the NPA/NXX will be local to the CO so you won't
>have out-of-area numbers other than a rare corner case of a very
>expensive foreign exchange line. If they're VoIP lines, the address is
>*supposed* to be so registered, but softphones and even VoIP handsets
>tend to move around without the user considering 9-1-1.

VoIP was dragged kicking and screaming into E911, so now they charge
extra and are quite clear about it.  My VoIP provider regularly
reminds me to update my 9-1-1 address, but since I don't have to pay
the 9-1-1 fee if I lie and say I'm outside North America, that's what
I do.  Since I also have a classic CO-powered copper landline (1/4
mile from the CO, no concentrators or repeaters) and a couple of cell
phones, I think we're covered.

R's,
John