phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Wed Apr 13 23:28:07 UTC 2016

On 4/13/2016 15:12, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I guarantee you that many, if not most at this point, of those
> numbers are no longer actually handled by that switch most of the
> time.
>
> I suspect that there are more SS7 exceptions than default within that
> particular prefix which is why I chose it.

I question whether (on a global scale) the odds are above 50-50 that a
number (other than a test line) is served by the switch NANPA associates
with the number.

I am in frequent contact by a person that has a 917 NNX-XXXX-numbered
telephone who spends a lot of time with a person that has a 408
NNX-XXXX-numbered telephone, and they both live in Metropolitan Boston

The number I offer as my "home" telephone number "belongs" to a CO in a
town 11 miles south of here and is not switched by the company that
"owns" it.

Knowing a telephone number or an IP address means that on a good day,
you know how to make a connection with an instrument associated with it.
  Which may well be in the possession of Mrs. Calabash.
--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)