GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Apr 12 07:54:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 08:08:29AM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On 12/04/2016 00:41, Ricky Beam wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:55:11 -0400, Chris Boyd
> > <cboyd at gizmopartners.com> wrote:
> >> Interesting article.
> >>
> >> http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/
> >
> > "Until you reached out to us, we were unaware that there were issues..."
> >
> > Bull! I can dig up dozens (if not hundreds) of emails from coworkers
> > and customers who have complained to MaxMind about their asinine
> > we-don't-have-a-frakin-clue results. They've known for years! They're
> > paid for a definitive answer, not an "unknown", which is why the
> > default answer is the same near-the-center-of-the-country lat/lon. He,
> > personally, may have had no idea, but MaxMind The Company did/does.
> >

> Its called class action lawsuit.

Yep.  It's also effectively the inverse of the Streisand Effect since
the news articles (and hopefully law suit) can only help people in
that situation since it's the only way they'd get wide enough coverage
of the issue to warn amateur sleuths that any trail that leads there
is a dead end.

It really says it all when the local sherriff says that his job now
includes defending the house against all other law enforcement, state
and federal.  It's good that they're doing it, but ridiculous that
they have to.

Regards,
Ben