GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Apr 13 13:25:05 UTC 2016

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:57:42 -0700, Todd Crane said:
>.What ever happened to holding people responsible for being
> stupid. When did it start becoming ((fill in the blank)) coffee shop
> for you burning your tongue on your coffee

Whatever happened to holding people responsible for fact checking before they
post? :)

You *do* realize that the woman in the McDonald's case got *third degree*
burns and required skin grafts, right?  Water at 180F is hot enough to
burn you - we even have a word for it: scalding.  And unlike sipping too-hot
coffee, where you can spit it out quickly, hot water spilled on clothing
continues to burn until the clothing is removed or cooled off - neither of
which is feasible when you're elderly and seated in a car.

And that she originally only sued for the cost of her medical bills, and the
jury increased it with punitive damages when presented evidence that over 700
other people had received burns?

Now go and get informed, and commit this sin no more :)

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts - how that lawsuit *actually* played out.