GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 11 22:02:07 UTC 2016

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 12:01 , Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 11 April 2016 at 20:15, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh, heck, you know better than that.  You can put in all the flags and
>> warnings you want, but if it returns an address, nitwits will show up
>> at the address with guns.
>>
>> Bodies of water probably are the least bad alternative.  I wonder if
>> they're going to hydrolocate all of the unknown addresses, or only the
>> ones where they get publically shamed.
>>

> They should stop giving out coordinates on houses period. Move the
> coordinate to the nearest street intersection if you need to be that
> precise (I would prefer nearest town square). Anything more than that
> should be illegal.
>
> Regards,
>
> Baldur

The thing I find particularly amusing having just looked up my own IP addresses is the following:

1.	My addresses are tied to my actual address in whois.
2.	That is not the address linked to in any of the GeoIP databases I know how to check.
3.	The address is only a few blocks away, but where an ambiguity is provided, it is sufficient to cover
	most of the city of San Jose, including my house of course.

Needless to say, it’s not confidence inspiring. I might look to see whose house it does send me to later
if I feel inclined, just for amusement.

Owen