GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:41:21 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:55:11 -0400, Chris Boyd <cboyd at gizmopartners.com>
wrote:
> Interesting article.
>
> http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/

"Until you reached out to us, we were unaware that there were issues..."

Bull! I can dig up dozens (if not hundreds) of emails from coworkers and
customers who have complained to MaxMind about their asinine
we-don't-have-a-frakin-clue results. They've known for years! They're paid
for a definitive answer, not an "unknown", which is why the default answer
is the same near-the-center-of-the-country lat/lon. He, personally, may
have had no idea, but MaxMind The Company did/does.