Best practices for sending network maintenance notifications

Michael J Wise mjwise at kapu.net
Wed Apr 6 19:15:17 UTC 2016

> I think there was a BCP being worked on. I seem to recall it was being
> discussed as a Facebook group. But there's no RFC, at least that I know
> of.

And additionally, putting the recipients in the To: line sounds like a
really bad idea. Sharing PII without permission and stuff like that.

Make absolutely certain that all the SPF, DKIM and DMARC stuff is perfect.
Make sure that any links are to the corporate domain... always.

You want a neutral, paranoid 3rd party who is receiving the notice to be
absolutely convinced of its Bona Fides. Do not suppose that your abundance
of Sincerity excuses sloppiness. It won't. :(

> Regards,
>
> Hal Ponton
>
> Senior Network Engineer
>
> Buzcom / FibreWiFi
>
> Tel: 07429 979 217
> Email: hal at buzcom.net
>
>> On 6 Apr 2016, at 19:56, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
>> <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> We recently, at $dayjob, had one of our peers (at Symantec)  send out a
>> network maint notification, putting 70 addresses in the "To:" field,
>> rather than using BCC or the exchange's mailing list.
>>
>> Naturally, when you mail 30 addresses, of the forms peering@ and noc@
>> various organizations, you're likely to hit at least a few
>> autoresponders and ticket systems...
>>
>> And at least one or two of those autoresponders are of course brainded
>> and configured to reply-all.  (In this case, Verizon's ServiceNow setup
>> was such a stupid responder).  And that made things fun in our own
>> ticket system, as our RT setup happily created a bunch of tickets.
>>
>> My question for the group -- does anyone know if there's a "best
>> practices" for sending maint notifications like this?  An RFC sort of
>> thing?
>>
>> While it would define a social protocol, rather than a truly technical
>> one, if there's not such a document, it seems like it could useful.  And
>> once such a thing exists, exchanges could of course helpfully point
>> their members AT it (for both their humans, and ticket systems, to
>> follow).
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> --

Aloha mai Nai`a.