Best practices for sending network maintenance notifications

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Apr 6 18:56:07 UTC 2016

All,

We recently, at $dayjob, had one of our peers (at Symantec)  send out a
network maint notification, putting 70 addresses in the "To:" field,
rather than using BCC or the exchange's mailing list.

Naturally, when you mail 30 addresses, of the forms peering@ and noc@
various organizations, you're likely to hit at least a few
autoresponders and ticket systems...

And at least one or two of those autoresponders are of course brainded and
configured to reply-all.  (In this case, Verizon's ServiceNow setup was
such a stupid responder).  And that made things fun in our own ticket
system, as our RT setup happily created a bunch of tickets.

My question for the group -- does anyone know if there's a "best
practices" for sending maint notifications like this?  An RFC sort of
thing?

While it would define a social protocol, rather than a truly technical
one, if there's not such a document, it seems like it could useful.  And
once such a thing exists, exchanges could of course helpfully point their
members AT it (for both their humans, and ticket systems, to follow).

-Dan