Microwave link capacity

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Apr 5 02:15:50 UTC 2016

You might be better served with the lists over at wispa.org. Not saying the people here don't have the answers, but that's what those guys do.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca>
To: Nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 12:28:41 PM
Subject: Microwave link capacity

In a context of providing rural communities with modern broadband.

Reading some tells me that Microwave links can be raised to 1gbps. How
common is that ?

I assume that cell phone towers have modern microwave links (when not
directly on fibre). What sort of capacity would typically be provided ?

And in the case of a remote village/town served by microwave originally
designed to handle just phone calls, how difficult/expensive is it to
upgrade to 1gbps or higher capacity ? Just a change of radio ? or radio
and antenna, keeping only the tower ?

(keeping spectrum acquisition out of discussion as that is a whole other
ball game).