Some doubts on large scale BGP/AS design and black hole routing risk

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Mon Apr 4 19:04:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> ​different providers, different entrance facilities in the building(s),
> different conduits out of the area... and hope that somewhere along the
> path providerA and B didn't share conduit or capacity-swap you to a single
> path :)​

I would suggest also different provider equipment.  If one provider uses J
find your second provider that uses C.

Also don't be seduced by a provider that offers 2 disparate paths, using
two totally different systems.  I remember years ago AT&T's ATM and FR
systems both died nationwide due to some equipment bug.

Also providers lie either intentionally or by mistake.  If they state a
circuit is protected, it might be this month, but next month it may not
be.  You may only discover this 3 years from now when the circuit dies,
and the provider is happy to pay the SLA penalty which is far less than
the 3 year cost of a protected vs a non-protected circuit.

-Hank