Quick Update on the North American BCOP Efforts

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:54:55 UTC 2015

Hi Suresh,

I believe all the information you seek is on our wiki: http://nabcop.org.
Be sure to look over the list of topics under the "Jump In" heading.

To your question about reinventing wheels specifically: There's two aspects
to that I believe.

The first is that we have no intention to "make work" by duplicating
efforts. In cases where the BCOP is already clearly defined and well
maintained, we simply want to act as curator - giving network engineers a
single place to find the information they need. In other cases, we act as
creator - bringing together subject matter experts to draft new documents
for community review.

The second aspect is that every BCOP must be rooted in existing knowledge.
BCOPs are defined by being tried and true methods for dealing with some
aspect of modern network operations. These are things that have been
presented on and discussed at NANOG. They are things that are "common
sense" to the initiated. They are also things that are profound when
discovered for the first time.

The idea here is to capture what some of us know, vet it, and make it
easily available to all of us.

Cheers,
~Chris

--