SNMP - monitoring large number of devices

Anton Berezin tobez at tobez.org
Wed Sep 30 13:32:00 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:20:19PM +0200, Pavel Dimow wrote:
> recently I have been tasked with a NMS project. The idea is to pool about
> 20 OID's from 50k cable modems in less then 5 minutes (yes, I know it's a
> one million OID's). Before you say check out some very professional and
> expensive solutions I would like to know are there any alternatives like
> open source "snmp framework"? To be more descriptive many of you knows how
> big is the mess with snmp on cable modem. You always first perform snmp
> walk in order to discover interfaces and then read the values for those
> interfaces. As cable modem can bundle more DS channels, one time you can
> have one and other time you can have N+1 DS channels = interfaces. All in
> all I don't believe that there is something perfect out there when it comes
> to tracking huge number of cable modems so I would like to know is there
> any "snmp framework" that can be exteded and how did you (or would you)
> solve this problem.

You might wish to check out https://github.com/tobez/snmp-query-engine
(disclosure: I am the author).

Some scripting is needed to instruct it to do the polling and fetch the
collecting results.  Currently there are only bindings for Perl
(https://metacpan.org/pod/Net::SNMP::QueryEngine::AnyEvent),
but bindings for other dynamic languages should be pretty straightforward.

We routinely use it to collect comparable quantities of OIDs.

\Anton.
--
Our society can survive even a large amount of irrational regulation.
  -- John McCarthy