PCH.net questions and thoughts - Re: Prefix hijacking by AS20115

John Todd jtodd at pch.net
Tue Sep 29 22:09:30 UTC 2015

Since it’s come up on the list and we haven’t given a public update
recently, I thought I’d just write a quick note on the state of
INOC-DBA.  For those who aren’t familiar with it, INOC-DBA is a
SIP-based hotline communications system between NOCs and CERTs:

     https://www.pch.net/services/INOC_DBA

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INOC-DBA

PCH has been the secretariat for INOC-DBA for the past thirteen years as
a function of our not-for-profit purpose, serving network operators.
During that time, the INOC-DBA back-end and self-provisioning systems
have been completely replaced three times, and we’re currently at work
on moving from the SER-driven 3.0 series of releases to a more modern
BE7k-driven 4.0 system.  Because INOC-DBA has only been intermittently
directly grant-funded, sometimes, like now, it is funded entirely out of
our overhead budget, so progress can be slow.  The consequence is that,
in order to make headway on the 4.0 transition, we’ve had to move
people off of active support of the old 3.0 self-provisioning system.
So, it’s fine for people who are already using it, but there’s not
currently a way to create a new user within the 3.0 system, nor for
existing users to make significant changes to call routing.

ASNs have proven to be a good identifier, allowing network operators to
communicate with each other in a way that’s vetted, while avoiding
putting PCH in the position of judging who qualifies to join and who
doesn't.  Whether you know the name of a network, or where it’s
located, or even what timezone they’re in, you know them by their ASN.
  And a hotline system that bypasses directories and receptionists and
escalation chains is a quick and low-friction way of reaching someone
who has the authority and access to resolve a problem.

While email is the most venerable and well-known communication method it
is often filtered, missed, or funneled through helpdesks that don’t
have sufficient clue, or are stymied by dealing with someone who isn’t
one of their own customers.  Facebook and general-purpose chat systems
are less than ideal as well, as they’re un-vetted and quickly suffer
the same fate as email: if they’re paid attention to at all, filters
or automated systems are put in place to block the noise.  So, a closed
network for voice, video, presence and chat has proven to be an
immediate, low-noise way for those network operators who choose to use
it, to communicate with each other.  In the 4.0 system, XMPP chat using
the same identifiers in the same closed network is a natural extension
and the new feature that, though hardly revolutionary, we’re most
looking forward to releasing.

The technical issues that were discussed in this thread about NAT/PAT
problems are certainly valid, but can be circumvented in a number of
different ways, some of which are addressed in our documentation. SIP
and RTP can work through NAT if correctly configured in simple
circumstances, or in the presence of a NAT-traversal server, such as is
included in INOC-DBA.  An organization may have multiple INOC-DBA users
and opt to have a SIP-capable system at the border of their network with
one side facing the public Internet, and one side facing their private
network, and which manages call flow and media handling (Asterisk,
Freeswitch, or any one of a number of free or commercial SIP PBX-like
systems will do this fairly easily; again, there are tutorials in our
documentation).  This also allows after-hours routing to PSTN lines or
to call groups as needed, controlled by a local administrator.  We also
have considered keeping the media path through our servers, which aids
the NAT traversal issue while not precluding local SIP enclaves as
described above.

One of the things that we struggle with is maintaining an appropriate
balance between, on the one hand, keeping the network operations
community informed of the status of the system, so they don’t feel
compelled to ask on NANOG, versus not pro-actively over-sharing on lists
and making a nuisance of ourselves.  Admittedly, if the 4.0 transition
were going faster, this would be less of an issue.

So, we’re glad of the continued interest (particularly in the NANOG
community, where INOC-DBA is not as widely used as in, for instance, the
LACNIC community), and we apologize for the slow transition to the new
4.0 back-end and self-provisioning system.  As always, you can contact
us directly about INOC-DBA related stuff on operator at pch.net

JT

---
John Todd - jtodd at pch.net - +1-415-831-3123