SNMP - monitoring large number of devices

Jameson, Daniel Daniel.Jameson at tdstelecom.com
Tue Sep 29 20:32:44 UTC 2015

Zabbix is probably one of the more robust snmp platform,  it's database backed by either postgres,  mysql or oracle and scales pretty big.   If this is more than a one-time event, you'll need some real horsepower and HDD space to keep all that data.  It might be worth writing a custom ruby/python/perl application on a platform that allows a clean fork just prior to the SNMP call  it'll allow you to remain in the wait-state for that one snmp thread without blocking the next request, and let you manage the workload of the server by controlling the number of simultaneous forks.