SNMP - monitoring large number of devices

Pavel Dimow paveldimow at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:20:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

recently I have been tasked with a NMS project. The idea is to pool about
20 OID's from 50k cable modems in less then 5 minutes (yes, I know it's a
one million OID's). Before you say check out some very professional and
expensive solutions I would like to know are there any alternatives like
open source "snmp framework"? To be more descriptive many of you knows how
big is the mess with snmp on cable modem. You always first perform snmp
walk in order to discover interfaces and then read the values for those
interfaces. As cable modem can bundle more DS channels, one time you can
have one and other time you can have N+1 DS channels = interfaces. All in
all I don't believe that there is something perfect out there when it comes
to tracking huge number of cable modems so I would like to know is there
any "snmp framework" that can be exteded and how did you (or would you)
solve this problem.

Thank you.