Do you have INOC-DBA set up? (was: Re: PCH.net questions and thoughts - Re: Prefix hijacking by AS20115)

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Tue Sep 29 17:19:30 UTC 2015

On 29 September 2015 at 17:13, Bob Evans <bob at fiberinternetcenter.com>
wrote:

> Neils, do you actually work at in a NOC operation with BGP operations and
> policies you can change - a backbone with customers?

​"lolz" as the kids say.​

> Say....An email/ text might work well or even better than SIP - if we had
> an APP that noticed a specific key or coded line plus your ASN to then
> ring my phone with an urgent ring tone.....hence, the idea of an NOC APP
> for that.

​This isn't an iPhone developers conference, the answer is very rarely
"there's an app for that". The chance of that being integrated with ISP
phone systems is slim to none.

Email works. When it doesn't IRC works. It has done for a decade, it will
for the next decade. Yes, even when the 200 people post to Outages saying
"XYZ is down for me, anyone else" or the far more annoying "can someone
from XYZ contact me offlist" posts to NANOG.

M​