PCH.net questions and thoughts - Re: Prefix hijacking by AS20115

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Tue Sep 29 15:31:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:05:45AM -0700, Bob Evans wrote:
> > This seems like a very good proper civil approach - maybe this or
> > something like it ARIN might help promote and endorse as a benefit to
> > the community ? Be nice if with the cash they did something simple
> > like this and got all of us to use it? Special line forwarding ? A
> > Emergency Only NOC App for our phones for just this kind of situation
> > - one that registers a specific ASN and pin code we set on the
> > registration page ?
>
> In this day and age people use IRC or Facebook to quickly get to a
> friend of a friend of a friend to get to a good contact. Get on with the
> times :-)

This seems lossy and unscriptable to me.  There are maxint different
flavors of $social, so it's not suitable for escalation, IMO.  Also,
many people opt out of half of them when they're not on the clock.
And, many of them have "I don't know you so I'll bury your message"
options, which makes being tickled by a stranger for emergency
purposes hard.  And their "APIs", so to speak, are constantly
shifting.

But we already have a reliable, widespread, high-SNR channel: this
list.  It's the place that people go when they can't get an answer any
other way.  Email works when many other things are broken.

What if all NOCs used their NOC email distro/alias to subscribe,
filter for posts containing their own ASes/admin-domains/prefixes,
plus the string "problem|issue|etc", and flag them as higher priority.
A junior NOCling could check it manually every couple of hours, and
maybe a public web archive of the list, in case of filter failures.

I would expect most NOCs worth their salt to be monitoring nanog
anyway.  Why not leverage it?

A sibling list could be spun off -- nanog-panic-button? ;) -- if that
would be preferable.

Royce