IPv6 and Android auto conf

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Mon Sep 28 15:20:39 UTC 2015

On Mon 2015-Sep-28 17:33:46 +0530, Anurag Bhatia <me at anuragbhatia.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone
>

>I recently got IPv6 working at home LAN. My Android device (Google Nexus 5)
>is connected via wifi to LAN and LAN's core router is Map2N
><http://routerboard.com/RBmAP2n>. I have a /64 on the LAN with "advertise"
>enabled to make ND to work and have autoconfig working on all devices.
>There are bunch of other layer 2 devices in LAN but all just acting as
>layer 2 transparently and core L3 remains on Map2N.
>

>All works well for most part but only trouble I am getting is on Nexus 5
>where after around 24hrs IPv6 stops working.

How, specifically, does it "stop working" on the Nexus 5?
- temp addresses expired and does not generate new, valid, slaac addresses?
- RA entry ages out and doesn't get refreshed?
- cannot reach v6 gateway (ND fails somehow)?

>Only unusual thing I notice at that time is that phone 4 IPv6 as opposed
>to 2 (autoconf and temporary randomised address). Seems like some kind of
>issue in way NDP works either on Microtik or phone. The fix I am doing
>from few days is to restart wifi and phone interface gets fresh (two) IPv6
>addresses and all works well
>again.
>

>Anyone facing similar issue? (Note: No issues on OS X or iOS which are in
>same LAN)
>

>I can try DHCPv6 but I guess most of devices do not support it yet. (I see
>support for that in routerboard though).

Unless something's changed, DHCPv6 IA_NA isn't an option for getting an
IPv6 address assigned to an Android device[1][2]

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):