Recent trouble with QUIC?

chris tknchris at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 23:49:00 UTC 2015

This reminds me of something I ran into where I came to a similar
conclusion.

We had a customer who used google ad and docs products very heavily and all
of a sudden they started getting captchas on accessing any google property.

When we reached out to google we were told that they were "blacklisted"
based on suspicious search queries or some kind of query manipulation that
they believe was caused by malware.
We search high and low internally and could not find anything and asked
them to provide specifics about what they saw and they would not and then
we tried to monitor network traffic we realized that google had just
implemented SSL search as a default so we could not easily inspect the
search traffic without putting in infrastructure that could do MITM and
allow us to inspect (which we also suspected doing this could have serious
blowback)

At the end of the day the customer was extremely frustrated because they
used google apps for their entire business and google insisted it was on
their end but we couldnt not get any factual evidence and we would have had
to do some really questionable things to try to go at debugging it on our
own.

TLDR, customer eventually bailed on all their google products because it
scared them and reaching a human at google through regular channels was
near impossible except through mazes of filling out forms and waiting 24hrs
per  email response. Even when we were able to connect with a fellow
googler on nanog who tried to be helpful even though he wasnt on the right
team we still got nowhere

This is really the dark side of the "cloud" (no pun intended), when a
company makes some kind of change or an event occurs with no communication
and it backfires. Even the most basic advanced notifications or just having
proper support available when a change occurs can be more important than
the technical aspects.

chris