GeoIP information

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 25 18:35:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 13:39:22 -0400, Clay Curtis said:

> exclusively.  I have dealt with cases in which a CDN responded to a client
> request with a resource on another continent, thus having to cross an ocean
> and adding considerable latency, when there was a POP on that continent.

And what was the root cause for the CDN to misfire that badly?

I hereby submit the hypothesis that if a CDN's data tables are so dorked up
that they're serving the data from the wrong continent, adding physical
location probably won't help, and may make things even worse.  (For instance,
consider a location in Alaska, where the *closest* CDN may be one in the
northwest part of Canada - specifically put there because the network is at the
wrong end of a satellite link.  You almost certainly want to skip that one and
hit one in Seattle or someplace similar....)

> If the CDN could have LOC information that is more accurate/updated, it could
> allow them to make a better decision and direct a client to a resource that is
> physically closer.

You don't want the one that's physically closest.  You want the one that's
netwise closest.