GeoIP information

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen.wunnink at hibernianetworks.com
Fri Sep 25 08:57:46 UTC 2015

It'd really help if some larger content providers would give LIR's some
tools to effectively manage GeoTargeting within IP allocations and the
subnets therein that they own.
In my experience it takes anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 month to get IP
blocks effectively Geo-targeted.

Google is one of the harder but most visible ones, their online form to
change it doesn't do anything. Going through their NOC usually fixes an
issue within 2-3 weeks. (Google engineers, idea to add tools for that at
https://isp.google.com on a webmaster tool-ish management interface?)

Akamai is usually pretty fast and changing maxmind will eventually
follow up a lot of the remaining sites. But it's a slow process.

Our strategy is generally to change the RIR DB entry to include the
correct country and geoloc fields. Followed by a maxmind update request
and then some direct strings pulled from friendly operator colleagues
and a mail to the Google NOC.

--

Jeroen Wunnink
IP NOC Manager - Hibernia Networks
jeroen.wunnink at hibernianetworks.com
www.hibernianetworks.com

This e-mail and any attachments thereto is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may be proprietary and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, without the prior written permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately telephone or e-mail the sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of this e-mail, and any printout thereof. All documents, contracts or agreements referred or attached to this e-mail are SUBJECT TO CONTRACT. The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses that could damage your own computer system. While Hibernia Networks has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.