ARIN Region IPv4 Free Pool Reaches Zero

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 25 17:15:16 UTC 2015

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 05:04 , Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
>
>>> The question really at hand: what happens when you need to host a new=20=
>>
>>> pile of servers, need/can-justify a /24, and your hosting provider=20
>>> quotes you $2560/month just for the IP space (at $10/IP)?
>>
>> You probably laugh and go to some other provider or BYOA from a broker.
>
> That works until all the hosting providers are charging similar rates,
> and even a decade ago I saw providers who would charge you for bringing
> your own space.

I’m betting that as BYOA becomes the only way to get new customers, the charges
for BYOA will go down and the acceptance of BYOA customers will go up.

While you’re right that eventually, all the hosting providers are likely to start
charging, I think there’s a whole lot of hosting churn between here and there.

>>> =20
>>> That'd be an incentive to look seriously at IPv6.... I *think*.
>>
>> I hope so, but most likely people will continue to do the lazy thing as =
>> long as they
>> can get away with it.
>>
>>> Switching hosting providers will probably become a popular game for=20
>>> the early depletion era, as providers attempt to rob each other of
>>> customers.  That's probably a losing game in the long run.
>>
>> Let=E2=80=99s hope (that it=E2=80=99s a losing game).
>
> Just because something is a losing game doesn't mean people won't play
> that game.

Sure… Look at all the people still running windows.

Owen