GeoIP information

Clay Curtis clay584 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:43:13 UTC 2015

I don't believe anyone is actually using the LOC RR, but maybe I'm wrong.
This seems like the best way to store this type of data.  I could see CDNs
being able to leverage this along with edns-client-subnet to decrease page
load times significantly.  How is this still an issue?  I mean, we have the
means to fix this.  Whoever a reverse zone is delegated to could easily
update the LOC record to provide this info.  They can make the LOC record
as "fuzzy" as they feel comfortable by zeroing out the minutes and seconds,
as the LOC record is just a set of GPS coordinates.  Who better to report
the physical location of a network than that network's operators.  I think
country code would be a nice addition to the LOC record though.

Sincerely,

Clay Curtis