GeoIP information

Christian Teuschel christian.teuschel at ripe.net
Fri Sep 25 08:23:34 UTC 2015

We have been using Maxmind's open source data set [0] on RIPEstat [1]
now for quite a while and there have been quite many user complaints
about the correctness of the location or the recency of the data.

One reason can be that [0] is updated/released only once a month,
usually beginning of the month. In some cases the Maxmind's online
preview [2] - assuming the underlying data is the paid version - seemed
to be more up-to-date.

Getting BGP topology to geographical location right is not a trivial
task for various reasons of which some were already stated here. From my
experience with Maxmind I think that the RIR's Whois information is a
starting point to bootstrap their database and from there Maxmind uses
ping/traceroute triangulation, change requests... and keep in mind that
Maxmind's main business field is e-commerce which allows them to
correlate requests (IPs from customers) from e-shop site (with known
geographical affiliation).

Since many ISPs seem to suffer from misguided geo-ip information
provided by different providers it would be a huge improvement to have
at least one data set that allows the ISPs to provide location
information to the IP space they own. Few years ago I heard of a project
called OpenGeoFeed [3] but I don't know about its status.

Christian

[0] http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/
[1] e.g.
https://stat.ripe.net/widget/geoloc#w.resource=2001%3A67c%3A2e8%3A%3A%2F48