GeoIP information

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 25 01:51:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:
> I assumed it must be based off of WHOIS.  The IP space I'm working with
> is in the midwest (US).  The address associated with it is from our
> primary IP block out here in California, which it would have only been
> able to gather from WHOIS.  If it had gone off the last hop, presumably
> it would have seen that as something a little closer to the real
> location rather than *exactly* where our primary environment is. :)

They could also do RDNS lookups and then see what rwhois says about the domain.

They could purchase sales records from online retailers. Hey guys,
give us the IP address, city, state and zip code for each sale; we'll
pay you a nickle each. Then correlate that with BGP announcements that
show the range of impacted addresses.

They could convince folks to install web browser plugins which give
the users rewards in exchange for ceding personal information. Or buy
data from a company which does.

-Bill

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us