Ear protection

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Sep 24 16:50:43 UTC 2015

> > On Sep 23, 2015, at 7:33 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> >=20
> > Passive cooling typically translates to lower performance but also can
> > be more expensive.
>
> $DAYJOB uses an immersion cooling system so it=E2=80=99s higher =
> performance and much quieter.

That's not typical passive cooling.  And it's going to be much more
expensive and complicated to implement than "air based" passive
cooling, or active air cooling, etc.

As an example, many mobile devices are underclocked so that their
components dissipate less heat, and may actually vary the clock based
in part on current temperature.  This allows the device to more easily
dissipate heat without active cooling measures, but you get the lowered
performance of a slower part.

It's totally possible to build quieter gear - we do that kind of work
here, as some of you know - but it is a matter of tradeoffs.  I can
show you a Xeon E3 system that consumes a peak of 100 watts.  SSDs
for storage, fanless oversized PSU to reduce heat, massive CPU
heatsink, and 120MM fans in a 4U chassis.  Very quiet running, has
a higher tolerance to heat as well.  But most people don't want their
hypervisors to take 4U of space for a mere 32GB of RAM and 12GHz of
CPU.  They'd rather stick 300 watts of E5's into a 1U and let it
scream away.

... JG