Recent trouble with QUIC?

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Sep 24 00:14:37 UTC 2015

Hi, Sean.

I had precisely this experience, mostly noticed just in the past day or so.
I assumed it was an effect of the firewall/NAT setup that my corporate IT
network has implemented, because it often is a culprit in these kind of
situations... But noticing that it was only for QUIC connections to Google
(I likewise use Apps hosted email) I just turned off QUIC in Chrome and the
problem went away.

I have no real insight about the issue beyond that. Except to say that the
packets captures I performed were not very useful to me, personally,
because encrypted QUIC traffic isn't very revealing in Wireshark. :) Though
I may simply be missing some clue and/or skill in making sense of it.

I guess I'm glad to hear that others such as yourself are seeing the same
problem. Because now I don't have to harass my corporate IT dept. Instead
we can look forward to speculation about Google, QUIC adoption in the near
future, etc.

Cheers,
-Benson