Recent trouble with QUIC?

Sean Hunter jamesb2147 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 00:01:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I work for a 2500 user university and we've seen some odd behavior
recently. 2-4 weeks ago we started seeing Google searches that would fail
for ~2 minutes, or disconnects in Gmail briefly. This week, and
particularly in the last 2-3 days, we've had reports from numerous users on
campus, even those who generally do not complain unless an issue has been
ongoing for a while. Those reports include Drive disconnecting, searches
failing, Gmail presenting a "007" error, and calendar failing to create
events.

In fact, the issue became so widespread today, that the campus paper is
writing about it as a last minute article before they're weekly
publication's deadline this evening. (Important in our little world where
we try to look good.)

We aren't really staffed or equipped to figure out exactly what's happening
(and issues are sporadic, so packet captures are difficult, to say the
least), but we found that disabling QUIC dramatically and immediately
improved the experience of a couple of users on campus. We're recommending
via the paper that others do so as well.

What I'm curious about is:

a) Has anyone here had a similar experience? Was the root cause QUIC in
your case?

b) Has anyone noticed anything remotely similar in the last few
weeks/days/today?

We're an Apps domain, so this may be specific to universities in the Apps
universe.

If anyone has any useful information or hints, or if someone from Google
would like more information, please feel free to contact me, on or off list.

Thanks for reading and have a great night everyone! Happy Wednesday!