Academic Paper - ISPs Sharing Long Haul Infrastructure in the USN

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Sep 21 18:31:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Rod Beck <Rod.Beck at hibernianetworks.com> wrote:
>> Academics face a severe challenge in gaining access to fiber maps since the industry classifies virtually everything as proprietary. If you know a better paper, please post it.
>
> I don't, which was part of why I was joking.

The ATIS final report on the National Diversity Assurance Iniative is
decent.  ATIS had access to proprietary carrier maps and personnel to
check things on the ground. Unfortunately, the NDAI report seems to have
disappeared down the Internet memory hole of dead links.

http://www.atis.org/ndai

It could be summarized as "Circuit route diversity sucks."  The only thing
worse than circuit route diversity were the processes to assure diverse
circuit orders stayed diverse.