IPv6 Subscriber Access Deployments

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sat Sep 12 15:06:39 UTC 2015

Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes:

> Sure, but this is a useless savings that comes at the cost of awkward traceroute output
> that will initially confuse your new employees and consistently confuse your customers.

Like MPLS or asymmetric routing...

Noone wants unnecessarily confused employees or customers, but I don't
think confusing traceroute output comes very high on the network design
criteria list these days :)

Whether the savings are useless depends on how you count the cost.
Address space savings are of course pointless, but managing address
allocations does have a cost.  It doesn't have to be high, but it is a
cost you have to consider.

FWIW, we decided to go with an IA_NA based WAN GUA for CPE management
purposes - we needed a management address and didn't want to steal from
the customers IA_PD prefix.

Bjørn