WiFI on utility poles

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Fri Sep 11 07:56:18 UTC 2015

On 9/10/15 1:15 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> The tower-deployed AP can see the cable wireless APs for miles and can see
> a few dozen of them at any one time. Given the goal of full modulation at
> all times for optimal use of spectrum and dollars, the ever increasing
> noise from the cable APs makes this a challenge. You need 25 to 30 dB to
> maintain full modulation and that's increasingly difficult when you hear
> cable APs everywhere at -70.

Frankly this is what the WISP's get for deploying on Part 15 spectrum.
It's a race to the bottom, and always has been.

In 1999-2000 2.4 Part 15 was golden with FHSS, and we played nice with the
Karlnet guys.  Then the muni's came in with their 2.4 networks and killed 2.4
for anything decent.  Canopy operators came in like a thousand people blinking
in unison and crapped up 5.8.  We all retreated to 5.3 and then 5.4 opened up
and life was good.

900 was never an option as even in rural areas you had to deal with paging at
929 mhz blowing out the front end of your receiver.  We made it work with
stupid long antennas and horizontal polarization, but that was only to go 2
miles through trees.  Remember waverider?

Now it's happening again; get licensed spectrum or go home.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
727-214-2508 - Fax