BGAN Optimized Laptops

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Sep 11 02:54:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

> Someone told me that there is a way for the browser to say
> to the web server, send me only the parts of the web page I
> request.  For example, send me everything but the flash and
> images.  Being a browser wuss I thought the web server just
> sent everything and the browser decided whether to display
> it or not.  That would mean the data already was transferred
> over the expensive sat link incurring the data costs.
>
> scott

Just wanted to clear one point up...

The web is *not* a "push" model; it's a "pull" model.

The HTML document is nothing but a text document
which has references to other elements that are
available to the browser, should it choose to
request them; but it is incumbent upon the
browser to request each and every one of
those other elements from the server before
they are transferred.  The server will not send
something that was not first requested by the
browser.

It's misunderstandings like this that make content
providers twitch every time an eyeball network
says "well you're *sending* all this data at my
network" -- absolutely nothing is being sent
that was not explicitly requested by the browser
first.   ^_^;

Thanks!

Matt