WiFI on utility poles

Michael T. Voity mvoity at uvm.edu
Thu Sep 10 18:37:54 UTC 2015

Thank you all for your replies to the topic I have started.

UVM does not purchase Xfinity on Campus for our students to have TV via
their computers or device.  However Xfinity usually has a both setup on
move-in day for students to individually purchase accounts to watch
stuff online.   UVM provides its own wireless to all the Residential
halls/dorm in 2.4/5Ghz spectrum.   Comcast/Xfinity has 2 Nodes on campus
that have nothing connected to them, just collecting dust and burning
power.

We see the addition of the Comcast/Xfinity AP's on the poles to either
generate confusion and or interface to the already dirty wireless
spectrum.   Recently we are running into issue with DFS being 3 miles
away from an airport and the TDWR.

Thanks again folks and see you in Montreal!

-Mike

Michael Voity
University of Vermont