WiFI on utility poles

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Thu Sep 10 14:57:02 UTC 2015

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:13 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
> The placement may be suboptimal, but free wifi away from home is nice.
> CableWifi really is a consortium, T-W customers can use Comcast's
> hotspots and vice versa.

If it were truly free and open access I’d be more tolerant of them stomping on my signal, but you have to be a CableCo customer in order to use it.  The truly sucky thing about TWC’s deployment is that they are also installing it in restaurants, bars, and similar venues—sometimes displacing the open access setup that was already there.  They conveniently forget to tell the owner/manager that it’s not really free access.

—Chris
(Who spent many hours helping restaurants, bars, and similar venues in the Austin area set up guest wireless networks.)