WiFI on utility poles

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Sep 10 14:52:59 UTC 2015

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> 5 GHz noise levels affecting people whose primary means of Internet access is via fixed wireless .

This is a huge deal for those people like myself that depend on fixed wireless for access at home because there is no broadband available despite incentives given by cities and states and the federal government.

The local WISPs are good at coordinating access in these ISM bands amongst themselves but when someone appears with a SSID without doing a peek at the spectrum (note: not a site survey, but actual spectrum view w/ waterfall, as site survey only checks for the channel width that the client radio is configured for, not al the 10, 15, 8, 30mhz wide variants).

It’s just poor practice to show up and break something else because you can’t be bothered to notice the interference or noise floor you created.  I suspect the hardware that Comcast is using doesn’t notice this interference or adjacent channel issues.  With the FCC aiming to let cell carriers also clog the 5ghz ISM band it’s only going to get worse.

- Jared