Extraneous "legal" babble--and my reaction to it.

Octavio Alvarez octalnanog at alvarezp.org
Wed Sep 9 18:56:56 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 06:36, Dovid Bender wrote:
> I am trying to understand why the legal babble bothers anyone. Does
> it give you a nervous twitch? Remind you why you hate legal? It's
> just text at the bottom of your email.

I've seen it in multiple languages (not necessarily on this list).
Furthermore, some mailing lists support HTML and when they send it in
HTML it sends two copies.

Some others even add a corporate image (sometimes mistakenly huge,
sometimes small) to their signature.

People do this a lot. If everybody did the same for all messages it
would be a huge waste of bandwidth.

For servers, because it's 1 byte times N subscriptions.

For readers, because people should be able to read this in their mobile
devices. For some this means access charges by byte.

That's why it's frowned upon in mosts mailing lists and just directly
forbidden in others. This is not new at all.

Just my two cents.

Best regards.