Updating dns glue

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Sat Sep 5 16:43:25 UTC 2015

> Some ideas:
>
> 1. You could just add a nameserver. There's no rule that says you have
> to have exactly two. You could almost certainly have three. (There are
> some registry-specific rules that specify the minimum and maximum
> numbers, but I've never seen a registry where the maximum was two.) If
> you add a new nameserver, and leave your existing two as they are,
> you've achieved your diversity goal and avoided the problem you're
> currently struggling with. Apply a touch of mind bleach, and you'll
> forget that "glue records" are even a thing.

Unfortunately, I have other customer hosted domains and they also are
listed only with 'ns1' and 'ns2' of my domain, therefore, if there is an
outage, unless I can actually update the ip of 'ns2' to my new
off-network host, those other domains are still a fail. Changing the ip
of the host is the right answer in this situation.

> So those are the people I would ask to rename (say)
> NS3.P23.DYNECT.NET. Of course in this case they would say "haha, no"
> and probably advise me to add a nameserver rather than trying to
> reconfigure their commercial DNS service. But you get the idea; if the
> nameserver you want to rename is subordinate to a domain name you have
> administrative control over, you could interact with the registrar for
> the domain and make the change.
>
> The precise way a particular registrar will accept such a change
> varies by registrar. Sometimes (I hear) the user interface involves
> phone calls and shouting. But then you have a choice of registrar, if
> you can figure out how to make transfers work.

This seems to be the case with dotster. I apologise to anyone over there
who may be reading, but it seems that they are completely clueless.
They've told me again in support they affected the change, but I can see
that all they did was update their own customer hosting account zone
data and not actually push it out to the roots (or more correctly the
gtld's?).

> If your domain and/or nameservers are not named under NET, ORG or COM,
> the above may be useful or, quite possibly, completely irrelevant,
> depending on factors that your registrar is in theory supposed to hide
> from you. There are as many other data models as there are other TLDs,
> almost-maybe, and I certainly don't know the details of all or even
> many of them.
>
> If this is sounding very XKCD-927, that's because it is. This is
> perhaps why lots of people pay others to do this for them
> (registry/registrar shenanigans and DNS hosting) so that they can live
> their lives with one less thing to be angry about.

So what I need is a registrar with a clue about the glue... Open to
suggestions here...

Mike-