Akamai Geolocation Secret Sauce?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Sep 5 04:36:16 UTC 2015

Akamai’s DB is frequently updated, not dependent upon SWIP, and has been measured as the most accurate of all the providers for something over a decade.

How they do it is proprietary. And sure, it can be wrong. Very wrong. But those times are rare, and they are good at updating when you tell them.

If you think about it, Akamai updates its CDN map frequently, and is not limited to the prefixes in the DFZ. So keeping a geo-location DB - not giving away any secrets here, just hypothesizing - seems like it would almost, but not quite, just fall out of all the other work they are doing anyway.

--
TTFN,
patrick