buffer bloat and packet pacing

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 3 14:48:00 UTC 2015

Hey Brett,

> Here's a paper that shows you don't need buffers equal to
> bandwidth*delay to get near capacity:
> http://www.cs.bu.edu/~matta/Papers/hstcp-globecom04.pdf
> (I'm not endorsing it.  Just pointing out it out as a datapoint.)

Quick glance makes me believe the S and D nodes are equal bandwidth,
but only R1-R2 bandwidth is explicitly stated.S1, D1, Sn, Dn are only
ever mentioned in the topology. If Sender is same or lower rate than
Destination, then we really shouldn't need almost any buffering.
Issue should only come when Sender is significantly higher rate than
Destination and network is not limiting them.

--
  ++ytti