NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Sep 2 14:08:22 UTC 2015

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 10:02 AM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>
> On 2 Sep 2015, at 20:25, Niels Bakker wrote:
>
>> Why?  Do your customer packets have cooties?
>
> Because you don't want things which disrupt customer traffic to disrupt your ability to see what's happening.  Just as you don't want it to disrupt your ability to configure/manage your infrastructure.

It’s really because some people who drink the MPLS/VPN/VRF/VLAN kook-aid think it’s some magic that undoes fate sharing and proper engineering and planning.  That a few bytes for a label of VLAN tag make your data more secure.

It’s possible to build a network that works without all these vendor pushed tricks.  I see where Roland is trying to go and he’s in the “magic byte” realm of the extra label makes it “OOB” where as the rest of us just see 1’s and 0’s on the wire and know a bit is a bit regardless of tag-switching (the original name for MPLS) or IEEE 802.1q label.  I’m sure there are people still doing ISL but i’d rather not.

- Jared