NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Sep 2 06:08:37 UTC 2015

On 1/Sep/15 19:12, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> Running flow telemetry in-band is penny-wise and pound-foolish, for
> networks of any size, in any circumstances.  All management-plane
> traffic (and that's what flow telemetry is) should be segregated from
> the production network data plane.

Looking at the span of my network, when I am building an OoB platform to
maintain management access to any device that may lose in-band
connectivity, I'll be honest, moving flow data across that is the least
of my worries. Simply because the costs and effort associated with
getting OoB management plane access that is cleanly separated from
in-band topologies does not always encourage the addition of traffic
that could kill the case for the same.

When my device is down, my primary objective is to get it back up, fast.
Flow data being lost is less of a problem.

Mark.