NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Tue Sep 1 20:24:11 UTC 2015

>On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 22:47:09 +0300, Tarko Tikan said:
>>Bad advice. No amount of money will fix major platforms that are
>>not happy to export flow telemetry via router management ports.

Correct.  And for a proper network you may not wish to have those
connections from in-band ports to your OOB/management network everywhere.

* Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu) [Tue 01 Sep 2015, 22:13 CEST]:
>And that box ended up in your rack, why exactly?

Because variety of flow telemetry delivery options isn't the #1 ranked
purchasing decider.  Otherwise no Cisco would ever have been sold.

><insert excuses that boil down to "We were willing to accept gear
>that didn't have this functionality because we were OK with sending
>flow telemetry over the inband network">

Everything is a tradeoff.  Welcome to the real world, where we have to
make things work rather than pose on mailing lists about what we think
other people should have.

	-- Niels.