NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Tue Sep 1 19:38:51 UTC 2015

On 9/1/15, 1:36 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Roland Dobbins"
<nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

>It should've already been spent for an OOB/DCN network, which should've
>been provisioned with flow telemetry in mind.

I'm going to interpret that "should" in the same way as the MUST in
RFC6919. :-)
Yes, it's a good practice, but like most other proactive security
measures, is extremely hard to justify spending money on it to avoid the
risk that it breaks fantastically when it is needed most.
Though you could provide a little insurance against the problem you're
highlighting here via a QoS policy that prioritizes flow data over
customer traffic.

Several of the OOB networks/designs I'm familiar with significantly
predate the entire concept of flow telemetry, as well as my own networking
career, and are still rocking the same set of Cisco 2500 routers with
async cards (many with uptimes measured in years) and 64k leased lines or
dialup on demand they've been using for literally almost 2 decades. When
one of those ancient devices dies of old age, you scrounge for the
cheapest equivalent you can find to replace it to maintain your oob access
to the 9600/8/1/none console ports for when things have gone truly
pear-shaped.
Often there is a separate management network that can deal with ethernet
speeds, but it's separate for security reasons and not always as rigidly
independent from the in band network for connectivity, i.e. It might be a
VPN riding over the regular network and thus not completely protected from
the problem you're concerned about.

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.