NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Sep 1 17:12:27 UTC 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 0:08, Steve Meuse wrote:

> Your advice is not "one size fits all".

Actually, it is.

Large backbone networks have DCNs/OOBs, and that's where they export
their NDE.

> I've done netflow over production links for two very large backbone
> networks.
Did you manage your routers and switches and hosts and so forth in-band,
too?

> Over the combined 17(?) years, never saw a problem.

Until you do.

Running flow telemetry in-band is penny-wise and pound-foolish, for
networks of any size, in any circumstances.  All management-plane
traffic (and that's what flow telemetry is) should be segregated from
the production network data plane.