NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

Steve Meuse smeuse at mara.org
Tue Sep 1 17:08:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2015, at 23:10, Job Snijders wrote:
>
> > To answer your first question: i see no issue in transporting flow
> > export traffic over the same backbone used to serve customer traffic.
>
> This is not good advice, for the reasons I stated previously in this
> thread.

Your advice is not "one size fits all".

I've done netflow over production links for two very large backbone
networks. Over the combined 17(?) years, never saw a problem. If your
network is likely to be partitioned by a small number of failures, that
might be a different case, but you can't make blanket statements.

-Steve